Rail Haverhill Meeting Minutes
4th February 2019 19.00-21:00
Nathan Clough, Martin Ott, Bob Green, Peter Cundall, Keith Jobson, Dennis Wendall, Marcus Field-Rayner, Bob Edwards, Jennie Edwards, Heike Sowa.
Robert Washington, Quillon Fox, Ian Hammond, David Roach
1. Social Media Update
- Online presence is going well. Most recent postings are reaching between 300 to 1000 people, which isn’t bad & shows continuing public support & appetite for a rail link.
2. Rail Haverhill Objectives
- Reminder that light rail was agreed ahead of heavy rail in the last AGM.
- What has changed since the last AGM?
- Rapid Mass Transport System likely to be bus-based
- Brexit has evolved and could in fact damage the demand on growth areas such as Haverhill as it potentially contracts Cambridge housing and business/research requirements.
- Question on whether heavy rail is actually significantly costlier in real terms?
- We are looking for a solution, regardless of its scope, to achieving a rail-based passenger service from Haverhill to Cambridge.
- Idea floated in engaging with bus companies on build a local bus network to provide transport to/from the station.
- Station location suggested on the Suffolk/Cambridgeshire border adjacent to Sainsbury’s.
- Signatures to continue to be taken as and where possible using digital means, and to explore how real-time figures can be rendered on the website.
3. Review of Constitutional elements
- Concern raised from the Chair on future of infrastructure and capital investment.
- Agreement to continue consideration of a Colchester to Cambridge rail link, but primary focus is on the Haverhill to Cambridge stint.
- Debate on what constitutes a ‘member’ – general feeling to continue with membership. Whether there should be a cost attach to membership attached also discussed – suggestions comprised annual membership costs.
- £1 a meeting to continue until further notice. A topic to discuss in the next AGM (1 July 2019).
- Stipulations on a 14-day notice period for each meeting to be scrapped in place of website, social media and email communications at the soonest available opportunity.
- Mention of Trustees to be removed as this is no longer representative of the Group structure.
- Names through the constitution will need to change from ‘RailHaverhill & The Cambridge to Colchester Rail Project’ to ‘Rail Haverhill’.
4. Opportunity to accept or request amendments to the meeting minutes sent on 21 November 2018
- Agreement on sign off of minutes – passed to Committee Members, signed off and put online.
- Moving forward meeting notes will be released as soon as possible once approved by the elected Committee.
5. Election of a Treasurer
- Advert out on the website with social media update
- The Chair wishes Members a Happy New Year, both Chinese and Western.
Heike: Contact Emma to provide future residential maps for Cambridgeshire and Suffolk.
Nathan: Paul Hollinghurst to be contacted regarding data processing of signatures
Martin and Heike: Invite James Palmer, Colin and Peter via email. Both to co-author its content.
Bob: Write Technical Report and send to Martin.
Martin: To confirm 25 March as a suggested date for next meeting at 19:00 – will relay decision to Nathan for promotion.
Heike: Contact Paul Richardson on current insurance status.
Nathan: Explore how real-time figures can be rendered on the website.
Nathan: Remind Martin of Committee email address login details.
Marcus: To attend the ‘RailFuture AGM’ in Bury St. Edmunds on 23 February and report back